Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(ASHBURN, Va) -- Push has come to shove as the Redskins have decided to bench Robert Griffin III in favor of Colt McCoy this Sunday when Washington will face Indianapolis.
According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Griffin will not play this weekend, but remains a part of the team's long term plans.
Griffin has struggled this season. He has missed six games after suffering a dislocated ankle in week 2. In the five games he has started, Griffin has completed 69.7% of his passes for 869 yards while throwing two touchdowns and three interceptions. Additionally, he has been sacked 16 times. The team is 1-4 in those five starts.
McCoy made his only start of the season against the Dallas Cowboys on October 27. He completed 25 of 30 passes for 299 yards with one interception and a rushing touchdown in a game that saw the Redskins defeat the Cowboys 20-17.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
ABC News(FERGUSON, Mo.) -- Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson has spoken out to ABC News for the first time publicly since fatally shooting a black teenager, Michael Brown, and he said that he would not do anything differently.
Speaking exclusively to ABC News' George Stephanopoulos, Wilson said that Brown reached into his police car and grabbed for his gun, causing Wilson to fear for his life.
"All I wanted to do was live," said Wilson, whom the grand jury declined to indict in connection with the fatal shooting in August.
He told ABC News about the struggle he faced with Brown as the teen allegedly punched Wilson in the face.
"I didn't know if I'd be able to withstand another hit like that," Wilson said.
"I had reached out my window with my right hand to grab onto his forearm 'cause I was gonna try and move him back and get out of the car to where I'm no longer trapped," Wilson said.
"I just felt the immense power that he had. And then the way I've described it is it was like a 5-year-old holding on to Hulk Hogan. That's just how big this man was," Wilson said.
More ABC US news | ABC World News
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Nuno André/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- What do you get when you mix rain and snow in the Northeast and 46 million people are expected to travel for Thanksgiving? A recipe for a travel disaster.
But those with plans to travel Wednesday -- one of the season's busiest days -- can get ahead of the winter weather by leaving on Tuesday.
Most airlines have issued flexible travel policies for those holding tickets to fly to, from or through many East Coast Airports.
Tuesday, though not as busy as Wednesday, is still a heavily traveled day for the airlines. Air travelers who find themselves shut out of flights already oversold on Tuesday should aim for Thursday morning flights. Thursday is traditionally a slow day for the airlines.
Though policies vary slightly among individual carriers, if your flight is canceled or significantly delayed, you are entitled to a refund. Carriers will also allow a one-time change on flights that are not canceled for no fee.
Here is a list of airlines with flexible travel policies and links to individual sites:
A significant Noreaster is set to hit the East Coast Wednesday, with rain expected along I-95 from Orlando, Florida to Raleigh, North Carolina and rain from Washington, D.C. to Boston in the early part of the day, changing to snow in the early afternoon. New York and Boston could get between 2 and 6 inches of snow.
Airlines for America, an industry trade organization, has projected that 24.6 million passengers will travel globally on U.S. airlines during the 12-day Thanksgiving travel period.
This is a 1.5 percent increase from last year, or an additional 31,000 passengers per day. The busiest days are projected to be Sunday, Nov. 30; Monday, Dec. 1; and Wednesday, Nov. 26. The lightest travel days are Thursday, Nov. 27 and Friday, Nov. 28.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Thomas Niedermueller/Getty Images(LONDON) -- When Prince Charles made rare public comments to criticize the lack of Shakespeare teaching in state school curricula, the British government was not too happy.
Now, it appears Prince Charles subsequently sent a letter to Britain's education minister of the time to apologize for not giving prior notice of his views and also to detail his perspectives on education policy, according to an ongoing case involving the government and a British journalist who filed a freedom of information request in 2005 to access the prince's correspondences.
If the letters from Prince Charles to seven government offices are published, it could be a problem for the heir because it might jeopardize the throne's traditional political neutrality, according to former Attorney General Dominic Grieve. As attorney general, Grieve blocked an earlier court decision to reveal the letters, dubbed the "black spider memos" because of the prince's small writing.
The government has put up a tough fight for nine years against Guardian journalist Rob Evans to stop publication of the letters.
This week, hearings on the matter at the United Kingdom's Supreme Court could be the government's last fight.
"My request was driven by a wish for transparency," said Evans to ABC News. "The monarchy should be neutral. So, are they really?"
At the core of the case is whether public interest is sufficient to warrant publication of confidential letters, and who has the final word on what the public interest is.
"Confidentiality should be the starting point," said the Guardian's lawyer, Dinah Rose. "But an Upper Tribunal ruled that the public interest from a public figure was sufficient to overrule it."
"Advocacy letters are very different to personal letters," said Rose, who added Charles "sees himself as performing a public function."
Evans sought disclosure of a number of written communications between the prince and the following government departments between 2004 and 2005: Business, Innovation and Skills; Health; Children, School and Families; Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; Culture, Media and Sport; Northern Ireland and Cabinet Office.
When Evans' request was denied by the information commissioner, the journalist appealed to the Britain's Upper Tribunal. In Sept. 2012, the tribunal ruled that the Prince's communications should be disclosed to the extent that they fell into a category defined as "advocacy correspondence," according to legal documents seen by ABC News.
However, Grieve, who as attorney general was a member of government and had an advisory role, vetoed the court's decision. He said the public could interpret the letters to be disagreeing with government policy, which would be seriously damaging to Charles' role as a likely future monarch, according to legal documents.
The overruling of an independent and impartial court by a government minister is extremely rare in the U.K., and this week's hearing will determine whether he acted lawfully and on reasonable grounds.
The case addresses the question of whether public interest is best guarded by the judiciary or the executive branch of British government.
According to Rose, "Parliament has given little consideration" to the veto power given to an executive.
"The Upper Tribunal is much better equipped than a minister to make a decision," said Rose, adding a minister only gives "an opinion based on cabinet consultations."
The constitutional power to veto a court decision was given to the attorney general to protect the public interest where real and significant issues arise, said government lawyer James Eadie, who said it had followed a "carefully considered, deliberate decision" from parliament.
Prince Charles is known for his strong opinions on a range of topics from education to farming and health. Last week, The Guardian ran a long piece on how Charles would reset the sovereign's role by making heartfelt public interventions when he becomes king.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
ABC/Adam Taylor(LOS ANGELES) -- After a hotly contested finale in which only a few votes separated the final three contenders, actor Alfonso Ribeiro emerged the winner of season 19 of ABC's Dancing With the Stars Tuesday night at the conclusion of the two-part finale.
Ribeiro and his partner, Witney Carson, beat out Duck Dynasty star Sadie Robertson and her partner, Mark Ballas, and Pretty Little Liars actress Janel Parrish and her partner, Val Chmerkovskiy, to claim the coveted Mirrorball Trophy.
Ribeiro appeared elated as he hugged Carson, and he was in tears as he talked with the show’s co-host, Tom Bergeron.
“I cannot believe this,” he said. “I’ve wanted it forever … I don’t even know what to say. These are happy tears.”
Carson was beaming.
“He’s one of the most hardworking people I’ve ever met,” she said of her partner, telling him directly: “You deserve it.”
Robertson, who earned second place, thanked God for carrying her through to the finale of the competition and said Ribeiro deserved to win.
Parrish, who took third place, appeared emotional but smiled through tears at her partner.
“I honestly am just so lucky to be here standing next to him. You were my trophy the entire season so I’m happy,” Parrish told Chmerkovskiy.
After their two performances Monday on the first night of the finale, Ribeiro led the pack with a perfect score of 80, followed by Robertson with 78 points and Parrish with 77 points.
YouTube star Bethany Mota, who had made it to the final four competitors, was sent home during the first night of the finale.
With less than a day to prepare, the top three couples were assigned a fusion challenge in which they had to create a new dance routine that combined two contrasting dance styles. They performed the routines Tuesday night for points from judges Len Goodman, Carrie Ann Inaba, Julianne Hough and Bruno Tonioli.
The three finalists all earned perfect scores of 40 each for their fusion dances – Ribeiro for his cha-cha/Argentine tango, Parrish for her foxtrot/paso doble and Robertson for her samba/quickstep.
The points were added to the judges’ scores from Monday night for a two-night total of 120 for Ribeiro, 118 for Robertson and 117 for Parrish. Those scores were combined with viewer votes from Monday night for a final grand total.
Ribeiro has been fan favorite this season, and delighted the ballroom audience and viewers when he performed “The Carlton,” the quirky dance performed by the character he played on the hit TV sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The 43-year-old danced his way to the finals despite having suffered groin and back injuries during rehearsals.
Judges had high praise for Robertson’s improvement throughout the competition. The 17-year-old reality TV personality became another fan favorite from the moment she took the stage in the season premiere to perform a cha-cha that impressed the judges. A high point for her came several weeks into the competition, when she performed a Ducky Dynasty-inspired samba that featured a cameo from the men in her famous family.
Parrish, 26, started the competition well and kept on improving, her scores placing her at or near the top of the leader board for much of the competition. Her jazz routine in week three resulted in the first perfect score of the season, but she recently injured her ribs during rehearsals and it showed in her performance Monday night.
The competition started 11 weeks ago with 13 stars -- including actor Antonio Sabato Jr., comedian Tommy Chong, Olympian Lolo Jones and NASCAR legend Michael Waltrip – vying for their chance at the Mirrorball Trophy.
Tuesday night’s two-hour show included live musical performances from Jennifer Hudson and Gorgon City, Nick Jonas, and Meghan Trainor. Stars who had been booted from the dance floor during this season also returned to wow the ballroom audience with new routines.
Viewers also got to see an encore performance of Mota’s freestyle after Twitter fans picked it as the freestyle they most wanted to see again.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Brendan Hoffman/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday he was “disappointed” by the violence that erupted overnight in Ferguson, Missouri, and he said the federal government would soon announce a series of new programs to help ease tensions between law enforcement and citizens in cities and towns like Ferguson.
“There are other communities around this country that have these same issues that have to be dealt with,” said Holder, reflecting on the deep mistrust embedded into the streets of some communities. “These gaps, these divides exist in other parts of the country beyond Ferguson, and our focus will be national in its scope to try to deal ultimately with these issues.”
At a hastily-arranged meeting with reporters inside the Justice Department, Holder said he was briefed overnight and into Tuesday about the security situation on the ground in Ferguson, and he then briefed President Obama in the Oval Office.
The two talked about “programmatic initiatives that we want to announce relatively soon,” Holder said of the White House meeting, adding that in the weeks ahead the federal government will be bringing together federal and local law enforcement, elected officials and community leaders to take “concrete steps” to address issues of mistrust.
“I think this is an opportunity to find those things that bind us as a nation, to be honest with one another about those things that continue to divide us, and to come up with ways in which we make this union even more perfect,” Holder said.
In his remarks Tuesday, Holder also emphasized that – even though a Missouri grand jury declined to charge officer Darren Wilson for fatally shooting unarmed teenager Michael Brown in August – the Justice Department continues to conduct two separate probes -- a criminal investigation into Brown’s killing and a civil probe into practices of the Ferguson police department more broadly.
“They will be conducted rigorously and in a timely manner so that we can move forward as expeditiously as we can to restore trust, to rebuild understanding and to foster cooperation between law enforcement and community members,” Holder said, flanked on either side by the Justice Department officials overseeing the federal probes.
Specifically, federal investigators are looking into whether Wilson used unreasonable force when he killed Brown on Aug. 9. But building a case like that is particularly challenging, especially since prosecutors would need to prove that Wilson intended from the start to violate Brown’s constitutional rights.
Federal investigators are also taking a hard look at the Ferguson police department, trying to determine whether officers routinely engage in a "pattern or practice" of unlawful and discriminatory policing.
Depending on what federal investigators conclude and how city officials respond, a civil lawsuit could be filed by the Justice Department and a federal court could demand Ferguson police make big transformations.
Holder also disclosed that he has asked the head of the Justice Department’s Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Ron Davis, to conduct an “after-action review” of the law enforcement response to the violence that erupted overnight.
The after-action review will look to “develop strategies for identifying and isolating the criminal elements from peaceful protesters,” Holder said, sitting next to Davis and top Civil Rights Division officials Molly Moran and Mark Kappelhoff.
“I was disappointed that some members of the community resorted to violence rather than respecting what I thought were the really heartfelt words of Michael Brown Sr. and the wishes that he expressed about how he wanted his son’s memory to be honored with non-violence,” Holder said. “It is clear that acts of violence threaten to drown out those who have legitimate voices, legitimate demonstrators, and those acts cannot and will not be condoned.”
At the same time, Holder said, he was “encouraged” by the peaceful demonstrations across the country and “heartened” by those in Ferguson who tried to stop the violence and looting there.
They are “heroes in my mind,” he said.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio